Small Quizzes Called Self-Tests Throughout the Modules — for Learning, Not for Grades
An important part of learning any course is making sure you have absorbed the information. We help you do that by providing self-tests that only you, the student, can see and practice with. These self-tests then become part of the learning process. For an example, take a look at the following sample of a multiple choice self-test.
Lesson 2 – Multiple Choice Self-Test
Please choose the correct term. You may refer to the text portion of the course if needed. When finished, click on the save my answers button
- The brain weighs about how many pounds?
- The cerebral cortex is also known as the what?
A. White matter
B. Blue matter
C. Gray matter
D. Dark matter
- Which portion of the brain affects balance?
C. Spinal cord
- What runs from the brain down through the bony spinal column and contains thread-like nerves that branch off to every part of the body?
B. Cerebrospinal fluid
D. Spinal cord
- What portion of the brain is responsible for memory?
C. White matter
Answers: 1B, 2C, 3D, 4D, 5A
If you weren’t happy with your results, you can go back and re-read the assignment and take the self-test as many times as you like! Of course, this assignment and self-test were just abbreviated versions — the real thing has so much more!
Now, just to show you more features of the course, let’s take the same Self-Test in Fill-in-the-Blank Format.
When you’re done the correct answers will show up in green on the next page.
Lesson 3 – Fill-in-the-Blank Self Test
Please fill in the blank with the correct term. You may refer to the text portion of the course if needed. When finished, click on the save my answers button
- The brain weighs about _______ pounds.
- The cerebral cortex is also known as the __________ matter.
- The ______________ portion of the brain affects balance.
- The __________________ runs from the brain down through the bony spinal column and contains thread-like nerves that branch off to every part of the body.
- The _________________portion of the brain is responsible for memory.
Answers: 1- three or 3, 2- white, 3-cerebellum, 4-spinal code, 5-hippocampus
You’ve just done your first fill-in-the-blank Self-Test. We offer hundreds of self-tests in various formats. Take them, play with them, skip them, or do them again — it’s up to you!
(Another great feature of the Self-Tests is that when you take the tests more than once, the questions are automatically renumbered and mixed up! That way, you can’t simply memorize the questions and the order they’re in.)